City of Auburn
Auburn taxpayers are also served by government offices, programs and services on the county, state and federal levels. Below are some commonly used services and contact information for government offices and representatives.
Bay County is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners, elected to serve four-year terms. The county is divided into 7 districts. Auburn is in the Third District. Terms are staggered so that, every two years, three or four Commissioners are up for election. The commissioners set policy for the county, adopt and monitor an annual budget, equalize property tax assessments, set fees, contract for a yearly audit of all county funds, and implement the recommendations of its auditing firm to ensure the legal and efficient use of tax dollars. The Board of Commissioners meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 4:00 p.m. in the Commission Chambers on the fourth floor of the Bay County Building.
Bay City Schools provide the residents of Auburn with quality education for their children. Their mission is to: Provide each student with knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to assure success.
Bay County’s website is a resource with links to many county-level services, including these commonly-requested ones:
• Bay County Sheriff: For child safety seat inspections, concealed weapons applications, Auburn Law Enforcement
• Register of Deeds: For recording, indexing and maintaining the records of all deeds, mortgages, liens, and other legal documents affecting real estate in Bay County
• Bay County Clerk: The Bay County Clerk files and maintains all vital records including Birth, Death and Marriage certificates. The Clerk also handles Assumed names, Concealed Pistol Permits and county elections
• Bay County Health Department: For Environmental Health, Health Education, Maternal & Child Health Services and Emergency Preparedness
• Bay County Interactive County Mapping System: For property information via an interactive map
There are numerous state and federal resources available. Below is just a small listing of some of the most commonly requested. To find a state or federal resource not listed here, perform a regular internet search and choose the result that best fits your query. (The web address should contain .gov)
Internal Revenue Service – Find & download helpful income tax forms and instructions
U.S. Department of State – Learn how and where to apply for a U.S. Passport here. (The City of Auburn does not process passports.)
Elected congressmen and senators represent citizens on the state and federal levels. Currently, the most reliable way to determine your Representatives is to use the the following search tools:
“Find Your State of Michigan Representative” – District 098
“Find Your State of Michigan Senator” – Senate District 31
“Find Your U.S. Representative” (Look Up Tool in upper right corner by area code) 5th District – Michigan